Resident Life

The Office of Student Affairs is here to provide you with an enjoyable and educational experience during your time on campus. Residential life is a unique opportunity for personal growth and development, new friendships, and great experiences.

NEW STUDENTS interested in living on campus must complete the Residence Life Application and the Medical History Form (including a shot record) to be granted a room reservation. The Residence Life Application is available online via the link below. Upon completion of the application, our office will email the Medical History Form. This form can be returned via email, fax or mail.

Housing assignments will be announced individually via email beginning the first week of July for all new students.

RETURNING STUDENTS must complete a Returning Residence Life Application form each academic year.  These forms will be emailed to current students or can be obtained from the Office of Student Affairs (Rhodes Student Center 118) or from your Student Life Coordinator and/or Resident Assistant. A housing deposit is NOT required for returning students. Information on housing selection will be announced via email each spring.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at any time at:

Housing Application

Housing Forms

Residency Requirements

Beginning in the Fall semester, 2014, all full-time students under the age of 23 will live in an on-campus housing unit for four (4) total semesters.  If on-campus apartments were built, the requirements could parallel other institutions, which require a longer stay on campus noting that apartments “count” as on-campus housing.

  The exceptions:

  1. Married students
  2. Single parents (with custody of child)
  3. Establish permanent residency within 50 miles of campus (allowing for exemption by the four counties served by Rio Grande Community College-Gallia, Jackson, Meigs and Vinton).

*An apartment is a rental and not a permanent address, the home must be purchased or owned by the student’s family*

Resident Halls

On-campus living offers a wide range of experiences for all students. At Rio Grande, you can become part of our residential communities. Each of our five residence halls offer something unique to each student. First year housing are Boyd Hall (male) and Davis Hall (female). All residence halls have 24-hour visitation rights.

Residents will have a Total Living Plan which consists of Room (double-occupancy) as well as Board (a meal plan for our on-campus dining facilities).

Boyd Hall

Boyd houses freshman male students. A total of 75 double occupancy rooms for a capacity of 150 students.

Davis Hall

Davis Hall houses all first-year female students; each of the 67 rooms in Davis house students in standard double or (limited) single rooms and has a total capacity of 116. Students have ample room and a generous closet and dresser area. Davis also features an updated lobby and separate study area.

Holzer Hall

Holzer Hall consists of 30 quad-style rooms, each housing four students, as well as five traditional double rooms, each housing two students. Holzer is co-ed and houses a mix of first-year and returning students.


With a total of 71 rooms, Wellness is a co-educational, upper-class hall with a capacity of 121. Room availability consists of singles, doubles, and two to three-person suites with a common living area.

Meal Plans

The 19 Meal Plan

The 19 Meal Plan offers students 19 meals per week with an additional 50 points (plus 8 guest meals) to spend in campus dining per semester. This includes a meal swipe at each meal service in the dining hall. All meals are non-transferable. Students also receive eight guest swipes per semester. Points can be used to purchase additional meals in the dining hall or at Buffalo Wild Wings in Gallipolis.

Recommended Supplies


  • Hair dryer
  • Curling iron
  • Iron
  • Television
  • Computer
  • Small Microwave*
  • Small Refrigerator*

*Microwave/Refrigerator will be provided in all: Single and Super Single rooms


  • Sheets (XL twin)
  • Pillow(s)
  • Blanket(s)
  • Bedspread
  • Towels
  • Wash cloths
  • Mattress pad

Other Items

  • Laundry supplies (high efficiency)
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Dishes for snacks
  • Small sewing kit
  • Outlet strip
  • Flashlight
  • Batteries
  • Lounge Chair
  • Area rugs
  • Umbrella
  • Waste basket
  • Trash bags
  • Plants
  • Desk Lamp

Personal Items

  • Soap
  • Shampoo
  • Deodorant
  • Cologne, perfume
  • Make-up
  • Shaving lotion
  • Shaving cream
  • Medicine
  • Band-aids
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Tissues
  • Cotton balls
  • Cotton swabs
  • Razors
  • Hand lotion
  • Shower bucket
  • Shower shoes

School Supplies

  • Paperclips
  • Rubberbands
  • Tacks, pins
  • Scotch tape
  • Glue
  • Stapler-staples
  • Notebook, folders
  • Tablets, paper
  • Pens, pencils
  • Memo board
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Calendar
  • Posters
  • Backpack


Frequently Asked Questions

What does the University furnish?

Residence hall room furnishings include a bed, mattress, dresser, mirror, lighting, closet, desk, and chair and drapes.  All halls include air-conditioning, high-speed Wi-Fi access, and free laundry. A refrigerator and microwave are provided in single and super single rooms

May I arrange my room?

Room furnishings that are not secured may be arranged to individual taste, but may not be removed from the room. Your room must be returned to its original state before checking out. Students will be billed for any damages incurred, including damage to furnishings, walls, doors, ceilings, etc.

What is a Resident Assistant?

Each residence hall has a staff of Resident Assistants (RAs) that are full-time students selected and trained to assist residents. RAs are a resource that will be available for individual student needs, programming, and information. Each residence hall also has a Head Resident Assistant who is responsible for the overall management of the building and is the direct supervisor for the RAs.

What is a Student Life Coordinator?

A Student Life Coordinator (SLC) is a staff person who resides in the residence hall. The SLC is responsible for the overall management of the residence hall and is the direct supervisor for the Resident Assistants.

What should I do if I become ill?

The University Health Center, located in the James A. Rhodes Student Center, provides health care to students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. After hours, please contact your R.A. or SLC. They can arrange for a sick tray from the dining hall, and if necessary medical treatment.

What do I do in case of emergency?

Immediately contact your Resident Assistant (or the R.A. on duty) or the SLC. They will assist you and know whom to contact if necessary.  You may also contact Campus Police at #740.245.7286. or 911

Am I allowed to change rooms?

Room changes are permitted, but recommended after two weeks of the first term to allow for adjustment. Room and roommate changes need to be approved by the SLC. If at any time you encounter roommate problems, contact your R.A. or SLC.

May I stay in my room during vacations?

During vacation periods, residence halls are closed to students. A student remaining in the area will need to make arrangements for off-campus housing during the vacation periods.

What about theft?

Although Rio Grande does not have a serious theft problem, you are encouraged to exercise good common sense and take preventative measures. You should lock your door at all times and never leave cash or valuables in the open. Each residential student is encouraged to obtain personal property insurance on all items of value.

If a theft does occur, please notify your R.A., SLC, and/or Campus Police immediately.

What happens if I lose my keys?

If you lose your key, report it immediately to your R.A. If your originals cannot be found, the core will be changed for security purposes and you will be billed for the cost of the change. University keys are not to be duplicated.

Where do I do my laundry?

Each residence hall has a laundry room equipped with high efficiency washing machines and dryers.

Where do I eat?

All meals are served in the  Marketplace (central dining hall) located adjacent to most of the residence halls. It offers several entrees at each meal, special hot and cold sandwich lines, and a salad bar at lunch and dinner. Special diets can be accommodated by contacting food services directly. The Rio Cyber Cafe is also available and is located in the Student Center.

May I bring a car or bicycle?

All campus buildings are well within walking distance; however, if you wish you may bring a car, motorcycle or bicycle. All motorized vehicles must be registered with the University and you must purchase a parking permit for them. There is no storage area for bicycles.

What appliances/furnishings are prohibited?

Any appliances with an exposed heating coil are not permitted, i.e. toaster ovens and hotplates. Halogen lights are also prohibited. All extension cords must be plugged into a surge protector (lamp cords and multi-plugs are not permitted).

What about visitors?

Most communities have more relaxed visitation hours. However, in the Cardiff Community, visitors of the opposite sex who are registered students (or registered guests) may be entertained in student rooms from noon until midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and from noon until 2:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

May I consume alcoholic beverages in my room?

Alcohol is prohibited in all residence halls.

What are quiet hours?

Twenty-four hour courtesy hours exist in all residence halls; however, quiet hours (study hours) are varied in the different communities. Conditions conducive to study should prevail at all times.

How will I receive my mail?

Each student is assigned a mailbox in the Campus Post Office located in the Student Center. Your address will be:

Your Name
MSC Box_________, University of Rio Grande
Rio Grande, Ohio 45674

What about telephones?

University provided phone lines are not available in individual rooms.

What if an emergency arises and my parents can't reach me?

Parents should then contact the Office of Student Services: 1-800-282-7201 Ext. 7234 during normal business hours or Campus Police after hours at 740-245-7286

Am I allowed to have a pet in my room?

Pets other than goldfish and other small, tropical fish are forbidden in rooms and common areas of the residence halls.

Student Life Coordinators

Madisonn Duskey

Madisonn Duskey

SLC Davis Hall

George Reynolds

George Reynolds

SLC Boyd Hall

Natalie Seeberg

Natalie Seeberg

SLC Welness

Share This