Greer Museum
The Esther Allen Greer Museum is housed in the formerly known Allen House. Build in 1884 by Lewis Wood, it was used as family home and boarding hall. It is the oldest remaining landmark on the University of Rio Grande Campus. In 1901, it was purchased by Frank and Miriam Allen and for generations of Rio students, it was known as Allen House. Acquired by the school in 1966, Allen House has served as faculty offices as well as the campus bookstore. The facility was extensively remodeled in the early 1990’s to accommodate the college’s growing artistic accomplishments and visiting artist exhibits. Renamed the Esther Allen Greer Museum for the Allen’s daughter who spearheaded the efforts of the renovation, it now features 3,000 square feet of exhibition space, a museum prep room, classrooms, and the University archives.
Permanent Exhibit
The museum houses a permanent collection with numerous prints, drawings, paintings, and sculptures provided through the Brooks Jones Endowment Collection. These may be viewed by appointment.