The degree that transforms your love of language, reading, and writing into a versatile career pathway.
The English Department offers the gifts of reading, writing, critical thinking, and interpretative analysis, context and imaginative awareness, and appreciation and value via literature, language, and writing. English degrees present students with both the critical experience necessary to appreciate and understand literature from a wide variety of times, places, and genres and the frequent opportunity to develop critical, creative, and professional writing abilities, including the use of electronic media.
- Demonstrate rhetorical knowledge – the ability to analyze and act on understandings of audiences, purposes, and contexts in creating and comprehending texts.
- Apply critical thinking – the ability to analyze a situation or text and make thoughtful decisions based on that analysis through writing, reading, and research.
- Demonstrate writing processes – multiple strategies to approach and undertake writing and research.
- Exhibit knowledge of conventions – the formal and informal guidelines that define what is considered to be correct and appropriate, or incorrect and inappropriate, in a piece of writing.
- Demonstrate abilities to compose in multiple environments – from using traditional pen and paper to electronic technologies.
Potential Job Opportunities
- Grant Writer
- Marketing Associate