The Communication program is based on a liberal arts orientation towards student learning, which facilitates critical thinking, analyzing, synthesizing, and ethical sharing of information. The overall goal of the program is to nurture lifelong development of the communication competencies students need to enhance their personal development, improve their career options, and foster civic engagement. Across courses in the communication program, students acquire critical thinking, problem solving, and teamwork skills, among other life skills that will not only serve them during college, but throughout their lives. In an increasingly global society, our aim is to ensure that graduates of the program have excellent communication skills, global knowledge, and community engagement skills that will aid in achieving the University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College’s goal of promoting successful lives, careers, and responsible citizenship.
The successful student will:
- Describe the communication discipline and its central questions.
- Employ communication theories, perspectives, principles, and questions.
- Engage in communication inquiry/research.
- Create messages appropriate to the audience, purpose, and context.
- Critically analyze messages.
- Demonstrate the ability to accomplish communicative goals (self-efficacy).
- Apply ethical communication principles and practices.
- Utilize communication to embrace difference.
- Influence public discourse.
Additional outcomes are included on each course syllabus.
Associate of Art – Communication (0921)
|General Education must include:|
|COM 10103 Introduction to Communication||3|
|Total General Education hours||39|
|Major Area required courses|
|COM 11203 Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COM 20103 Intercultural Communication||3|
|Select one of the following two: |
COM 21103 Oral Interpretation
THR 12302 Acting I
|COM 25203 Introduction to Mass Communication||3|
|COM 22303 Interviewing||3|
|COM 22103 Small Group Communication||3|
|PSY 26204 Research Methods||4|
|Total major area hours||22|
|Personal elective hours||3|
|Total hours needed to graduate||64|
Bachelor of Arts or Science – Minor in Communication (0934)
|Minor Area required hours||15-18|
Note: 15-18 hours of COM courses (at least 33% of which must be at the 300-400 level.