The Office of Publications serves the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College campus clients by creating and producing their printed materials.
The director ensures that Rio Grande publications meet specifications for quality and branding consistency as established in the Rio Grande Brand Book.
Graphic design services are provided free of charge to all Rio Grande faculty, staff and students. All printing and postage charges will be the responsibility of the client.
Types of publications produced
- Business cards
- Note cards
- T-shirt Design
Starting a Project
Steps to Starting a Project
Step 1 – Plan ahead for job design turnaround time
Step 2 – Complete the Publications Request Form
Step 3 – Submit text, graphics and photos
Step 4 – Proof copy and layout thoroughly
Step 5 – Complete the Publications Approval Form
Step 6 – The final publication will be sent for printing
The turnaround time for completing a design project depends on its complexity as well as the number of projects in production ahead of yours. Allowing for these variables, it can take up to two weeks to complete your project design.
Publication Request Form
Complete the Publications Request Form for each new project and submit it to Jean Ann Vance, Director of Publications at email@example.com. All information on the form must be completed in order to start a job.
All copy must be reviewed and approved by a supervisor before it is submitted to the Office of Publications for design. Making substantial editorial changes during page production can cause extreme delays in the completion of the project. Please submit text as a Microsoft Word document on a disk or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please avoid using tabs and formatting in the Word document. Provide a hard copy of text for all new jobs.
Submitting Graphics and Photos
All graphics and photos should be saved in jpg, tif or eps format at the highest resolution possible. Graphics and photos pulled from the Internet are not of printable quality. Remember, many graphics and photos are protected by copyright and cannot be reproduced without express permission of the owner.
If you are submitting photos of people, a Photo Release Form is required. The form grants permission to the University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College to use photographs taken of that person for use in print materials, displays, websites or other electronic form or media.
Proofing Your Publication
Once the project has been designed, you will receive up to three proofs. Proofreading is the responsibility of the person or department for whom a publication is being created. Please read all proofs carefully. Changes and corrections should be clearly marked to avoid miscommunication.
Proof Approval Form
Once you have received a final proof, please complete the Proof Approval Form and submit to Jean Ann Vance in the Office of Publications. Once the form (as well as Purchase Order number if applicable) is received, your publication will go to print.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR OUTSIDE PRINTING
Purchase orders and check requests must be completed before a publication is released to an outside printer.
Please completely fill-in the appropriate forms and return to the Office of Publications or email to Jean Ann Vance at email@example.com.
The above forms must be filled in before work can start on your publication.
To ensure that all publications representing The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College convey a consistent and accurate message and image, externally disseminated publications must be designed and approved by the publications office. If a publications need is identified, responsible parties should contact the publications office as soon as possible.
Publications contact information
Jean Ann Vance
Director of Publications
Publications to be reviewed
- Newsletters and magazines, especially those for external distribution to alumni, prospective students and general audiences
- Academic bulletins and departmental brochures
- Recruitment materials for students and faculty
- Conference brochures and programs
- Covers, folders and invitations for special events
Deadline for publications
Please allow five to ten working days for publication design.
- The Rio Grande logo should always be prominently displayed on the cover of any printed piece. The name of the academic unit can be the same size or smaller, but never larger than the logo.
- In athletic publications, the RedStorm logo can be used prominently as long as the Rio Grande logo is included on the back cover (or in another secondary location).
- The formal name of the institution is “The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College.”
- First mention of the institution name (including logo) should be “The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College.” Rio Grande is acceptable as a second mention.
- Do not use the designation Rio Grande University.
- The publications office must approve special logos for colleges, departments and related programs and projects.
- Special logos should not be used on university letterhead. When used on other publications, special logos should be secondary to the Rio Grande logo.
- The University Shield is primarily used for official purposes, as in the publications of the institution, its certificates, diplomas and legal documents and printed materials in conjunction with official functions of the university.
Most publications should include an overview paragraph about Rio Grande. In some cases, the mission statement is appropriate. The following paragraph is appropriate for most publications:
About Rio Grande
Rio Grande is comprised of The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College. It is the only combined community college and private university in the country, located on a retreat-like setting in Rio Grande, Ohio. Operating as an institution of higher learning for more than 130 years, Rio Grande offers more than 60 programs of study providing associates, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, affordable tuition, direct access to an accomplished faculty, and a safe, empowering environment allowing students and professors to create individualized college experiences that lead to successful futures. For more information on the wide range of academic programs offered on Rio Grande’s scenic campus, call 1-800-282-7201 or log onto www.rio.edu.
- A Rio Grande brand book that contains detailed color and font specifications is available.
- Copy should convey information accurately, concisely, clearly and in a style that invites readership and avoids jargon.
- Neatness and quality of typography and photography are important.
- Low-quality computer typesetting and instant photographs are generally unacceptable.
- The official colors of the university are red and black. The specification for the red ink is PMS (Pantone) 1807.
- The purpose of the publication and audiences for whom it is intended should be clear.
- All publications are expected to use accurate, standardized information on enrollment, research funding, number of faculty, number of buildings, acreage, finances, etc.
- The publication should leave readers with a positive impact and the impression that warm and friendly people stand ready to serve their needs at Rio Grande.
- The publication should include instructions about how readers can obtain additional information.
- The website address, www.rio.edu, should be included on all printed materials.
The Equal Opportunity Statement should appear on all university publications. The policy is as follows:
The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, gender, religion, age, disability or national origin. The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College believes in equal opportunity practices that conform to both the spirit and the letter of all laws against discrimination. The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College prohibits discrimination against any qualified person with a disability.
Creation Date: October 27, 2011
Office of Publications is located in the basement of Davis Library on the University of Rio Grande & Rio Grande Community College campus.
Business hours: 8-5 Monday – Friday
Primary Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Computing & Networking University of Rio Grande & Rio Grande Community College Davis Library