The campus goal is to “reduce, reuse, and recycle” whenever and where ever possible through individual and small group participation. Recognizing the importance of action as well as education, the Committee will strive to reduce the campus ecological footprint, promote sustainability and to foster ecological education.
Decade of Dreams - Strategic Plan 2011 - 2021
Implications for Rio Grande:
- The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College will commit to a “Going Green” program.
- Departmental and employee participation will be increased substantially.
- Contracted service providers can be required to participate and submit “Sustainability Plans” as part of their annual contract renewal.
- Energy conservation is the most direct method of cost savings impacting the budget. Each campus can adopt additional measures to extend the initial Energy Management Plan adopted earlier. Replacing lights with LED technology and replacing computers with newer Energy Star rated equipment are initiatives with a short return on investment.
- The Rio Goes Green Committee will be re-established and develop a business plan in the first year of this plan.