Artist in Residence Program
The School of Fine Arts hosts artists in a variety of Fine and Performing Arts media with the generous support of the Imagine Arts Endowment. Residencies range from an afternoon to an entire semester, and engage students, area school children and teachers and community members in workshops, exhibitions, performances and recitals.
The University of Rio Grande/Rio Grande Community College is seeking applications for the position of Artist in Residence for the spring semester of 2015 (January 25-May 15).
· The selected artist will be required to live in the vicinity of the University of Rio Grande, and work in the URG studios a minimum of two days/week.
· The selected artist will be required to teach two undergraduate courses at the University of Rio Grande. Each section will have between 12 and 24 students, and will meet two days/week.
· The selected artist will also be responsible for all grading, class prep, syllabi and handouts, acquisition of materials, etc. required to conduct these courses.
· The selected artist will be required to conduct at least one workshop for the general public, and at least two workshops in area schools (K-12).
· The selected artist will also be required to present a public lecture of her or his work to the university community.
· Applicant must have an MFA or equivalent experience as a visual artist.
· Applicant must have an active exhibition record at the national/international level.
· Applicant must be a US citizen, or possess a valid work visa.
· Ideally, the applicant will have 1-3 years teaching experience at the college level beyond graduate school.
· URG/RGCC is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The selected Artist will receive an honorarium of $8,000, and will be required to teach two courses.
Courses available include:
· Web Design/Graphic Design
· Digital Photography
The selected Artist would have the opportunity to teach additional courses, depending on availability. Additional courses would be compensated at current adjunct rates ($1,500-$2,750 each).
In addition to monetary compensation, the recipient will receive the following:
· Free parking on campus
· Use of the fitness center, swimming pool, library and other campus facilities
· 24-hour access to the art studios
· An exhibition in the Greer Museum, including cards and opening costs
· Mileage reimbursement for outreach activities.
All costs related to housing, meals and purchase of materials for the creation/installation of artwork will be the responsibility of the artist.
Applications must be received by October 15 2014 in order to be considered.
Applications must include:
1. Letter of application, describing the applicant’s interest and motivations for completing this residency.
2. List of courses the applicant would like to teach (in order of preference).
3. Profession resume/CV.
4. Teaching philosophy and artist statement.
5. Graduate transcript.
6. Portfolio of 20 images of the applicant’s artwork and 10-20 images of student artwork. Digital images should be no smaller than 1,000 pixels in either direction, saved in jpg format.
7. One-three letters of recommendation.
8. Any other supporting materials, such as list of awards won, internships in the arts, etc.
All materials should be sent to the following address:
Chair, School of Fine Arts
University of Rio Grande
128 N. College Avenue
Rio Grande, Ohio 45674