Apply for Aid

To apply for financial aid, prospective students must complete the application process for admission to the University of Rio Grande, and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or a Renewal FAFSA. When filling out the FAFSA, use college code 003116 to indicate Rio Grande.

A paper application is available upon request from the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID. The FAFSA must be filed as soon as possible after Jan. 1 each year. It is important to apply as early as possible due to limited amounts of funding for certain programs. These programs are awarded on a first come, first serve basis to eligible students. Therefore, students should file the FAFSA no later than March 15.

General Financial Aid Information


Notification of awards will be made as quickly as possible. Students should receive an award letter listing all aid eligibility. The student must sign and return the award letter indicating if they accept or decline the aid package. Students accepting student loans must complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note to complete the loan process. Click the link to complete this process. Finalized financial aid will be applied to the student account after the drop/add period each term. Students must have completed and submitted all necessary paperwork required by the Financial Aid Office before aid will be credited to the student's account.


Balances owed after student financial aid is applied to the student account are the responsibility of the student and/or parent and must be paid by the date specified by the University Business Office each term. Student accounts showing a credit balance will receive an overage check within 14 days of the financial aid being applied. The first checks are mailed five weeks after the start of each term.

Special Circumstances

If your family experiences a change of income due to loss of employment, disability or natural disaster, loss or reduction of untaxed income, separation or divorce, death of a parent or spouse, excessive medical or dental expenses paid out-of-pocket, parents attending college, sibling private school tuition paid, or a one-time lump sum, you may be eligible for special circumstances. Special circumstances are considered at the professional judgment of the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to approve or reject applications for special circumstances. A change of circumstances can sometimes change your eligibility for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.