The mission of the Chaplaincy Program is to extend ministry to all students, staff, faculty, and administration for the express purpose of facilitating the personal spiritual unfolding of individuals.
Spirituality in this context refers to seeking meaning and purpose in human existence. It includes the development
of a deep appreciation for the depth and expanse of life and the natural forces that exist in the universe. It also involves the development of personal values and ethics.
Working Together for a Better World!
The University of Rio Grande provides nondiscriminatory educational opportunities for the pursuit of academic excellence. The educational experience provides opportunities to develop a balance of intellectual, aesthetic, social and physical qualities; in addition, the University strives to assist the student in meeting their emotional and spiritual needs, all of which characterize the total human experience.
Of the University's mission, the Chaplaincy Program assists the student in the development of the spiritual dimension of their person. The Chaplaincy provides an unbiased, non-sectarian approach to spirituality.
Who We Are
- We do not bring God to the campus: rather, we affirm and celebrate a God who is always and everywhere present.
- We will not tell you how to live; rather, we will discuss and explore life’s options. Knowing who you are is the challenge of university life and we welcome the opportunity to join with you in the journey of discovery.
- We believe that all human beings have been created spiritual with spiritual needs, and our purpose is to serve students at the University of Rio Grande by helping them meet those needs in a very real and tangible way.
- We help meet those needs by pursuing a friendship and providing a listening ear from someone who cares. We also offer Bible studies, counseling, residence hall programs, and other activities.
- We exist because we believe that dialog and friendship between different faiths is both necessary and good.
The volunteers give their time to minister to the needs of individuals, regardless of tradition or faith. The ministry will seek to provide services in the following ways.
Personal problem solving and support is offered to students and others in the University. Everyone is invited to stop by the Volunteer Chaplaincy office or make an appointment by calling (740) 245-7199.
The ministry will provide resources upon request in the classroom setting, encourage development of religious studies and course offerings, and other appropriate involvement in the teaching-learning arena.
The ministry will seek to create opportunities to enrich student life by cooperating with student groups such as the Student Government Association, and for personal growth by providing small group encounters, Bible study groups, lectures, and other special activities.